Side-Talk: Halal Omiyage (Souvenir) from Japan

As mentioned in my previous post, my eldest sister went to Japan in December 2014 and brought back lots of Japan face products. While she was there, she whatsapp us to help to her search online for halal mochi which she can bring as souvenirs for her muslim colleague. I look up on google and do not find any halal kochi that is already in Japanese market. However, I did find out that there are halal omiyage out there are halal certified by Nippon Asia Halal Association (NAHA). Interesting huh. Below is the halal logo of NAHA.

One of the product is "Arare", which is a type of rice crackers. It is product by Osama Rice Cracker Co. Pte Ltd. Do note that not all of their products are halal. So what is "Arare"? According to wikipedia, it is japanese confectionary made from glutinous rice. The difference from senbei is its size and shape. In other words it is fried mochi.



Okay great there are halal souvenirs but where do we buy them? We saw online that it can found in a shop called "Hyobando" along the row of shops at Asakusa Temple. But my sister said it is too out of the way for her. 


Photo credit: NAHA Facebook page

Then browse through NAHA Facebook Page. I found out that it is also sold at Narita Airport Terminal 1! I was thinking great then, she can buy it before she bought the plane. NAHA posted the photo below but did not state the exact location of it…like where in Terminal can it be bought.

Photo credit: NAHA Facebook page
So using my detective skills, I go Narita airport website to check the directory and look out for shops with similar display. The is called KONNICHIWA and the location is at:

Narita Airport Terminal 1
Level 4 of Central Building

So back to the story about my eldest sister. She say her departure hall is at Terminal 2 instead and most like would not be able to Terminal 1 first due to shortage of time. So I look for a way for her to buy the halal "Arare" online. Sakura Gate (link) enables you to buy online and provides delivery service to the Airport. Except you will need you to order in advance…and this is not possible for my sister. But I think the idea is genius! Tourists can now save time from looking for souvenirs while they are on holidays. I always find looking for souvenirs to but for others a waste of time HAHA. In the end, I said to me sister that I have no other solution for her.

So she finally returned to Singapore after her trip and reach home at 2am in the morning. I saw her carry this ANA paper bag with the 8 packets of halal "Arare" in it. I was like, where did you get it from. Apparently, it is sold in Narita Airport Terminal 2 as well. So another place for you to buy the halal "Arare" is at ANA FESTA lobby gift shop located at:

Narita Airport Terminal 2
Level 4 of the Main Building

My sister bought 2 flavours of halal "Arare, seaweed and red pepper. I only have photo of the seaweed one since we already ate the red pepper one. Heard there is going to be a new flavour (Wasabi) coming out soon.



For more information and updates of halal products in Japan, do visit NAHA Facebook page. 

Posted in , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.